Monday, October 12, 2009

I have my own house!

So, I've been living in my own place for over a month, now. I live in eastern El Salvador where I get to enjoy 90+ temps almost everyday. I'm growing really fond of my Sanyo industrial strength fan that was my first purchase. I've also got a real bed! Yeah! It was a lot of fun to drag a twin size mattress on the bus. Only in El Salvador could I bring a bed onto the bus. What a great experience.

As I'm you may have guessed, I've been settling in and buying things for my home. I have a Rubbermaid container to store my food. This is wonderful because although people need protein in their diets, I'm vegetarian and that includes not eating insects. I also bought a water jug holder (for the 5 gallon water bottles) and I absolutely love it! And one of the most exciting new features of my life is 24/7 internet service in my home.

I'll write for a moment about that struggle and maybe expose a little about the cultural differences. It took me 3 weeks to get it. I set up an appointment with Claro and they said they'd come to the Alcaldía (City Hall, where I work) Friday at 1:00p. It seemed too easy. However, they didn't come. So, I went to Tigo and they said I couldn't get service because I'm not from here and don't have a DUI (Salvo ID). Claro showed up 9 days later, in the morning. They called me, I met them in the afternoon. They came to my house. The internet would work.

I jumped through hoop after hoop to satisfy their desires, including wanting a copy of my passport (although i don't have a copier and neither did they). We got it all worked out and they came back the next day with the contract. I signed the contract and then, I had no internet. I called them and they said they wanted more... so, I gave them more. They said it'd take 30 minutes. I didn't get it until 3 days later. It's really slow, but I'm loving it and it's opened up my world to Podcasts including my new favorite found here: http://www.podcastalley.com/podcast_details.php?pod_id=38546

Now, I'll talk a little about my work, since that's why I am here, after all. I am working with the Alcaldía (again, City Hall) with the mayor's office (Alcaldé). According to a law that is about 10 years old, every municipality needs to have a Unidad Ambiental (Environmental Unit). I've been going to a lot of trainings and getting to know the other UAs in other parts of the region. They have presentations where I've learned about volcanoes, earthquakes, floods, recycling, cleaning campaings, composting, etc. in El Salvador. This Wednesday, I am going to a disasters conference in El Salvador (it's called Desastres Evitables). Another cool thing is that I have 3 shirts as a part of this group.

I've also been doing something Peace Corps calls Community Diagnostics. I've been walking around talking to random people in the community and going to their house. Yeah, it's a little awkward because my Spanish isn't the best and I don't know these people. However, I'm learning a lot. I've found there is a lot of interest in reforestation, gardening, and there may be a need for energy efficient stoves (they all cook with wood). I still have more work to do with this, however. I am going to host a Asamblea General (General Assembly) with community leaders on the 20th of this month.

I'm really excited about all of the opportunities here. I've been discussing starting bus charlas about throwing garbage out the windows. I want to get a group together to make a skit about God and how He (b/c I'm in a Catholic / Evangelical part of the world) gives humans dominion over the world and that means we need to take care of it, starting with not throwing plastic and other garbage out the bus windows.

Speaking of garbage, I have a sinus infection and I've taken Elequine, Allegra, and Claratin without any help. I think the problem is all of the air pollution. They burn their trash, here. Everyone. When I take my trash to the town to put in the garbage cans there (basuraros) they wonder what I'm doing. I'm certainly going to push the point of how bad burning trash is for the environment and health.

Ok, well, I'll try to keep my blog updated more. I guess it's that I've felt connected to many people through telephone, facebook, and other outlets that I don't feel the need to blog. Ok. More to come. Also, I have a video on YouTube. Just search for "Jeff Butts El Salvador" and it'll bring it up. It shows my house.

Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment