Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Animals

I wanted to write this blog about the odd things about El Salvadorian culture - like women don't bath (or shower) when they're on their period because they think it'll make them sick. However, I have something pressing on my mind that has been difficult for me to deal with the last couple of weeks. It's been building and I need an outlet. I must add that these views are my own and not in any way the views of Peace Corps, or the staff.

I'm a vegetarian (mentally on the edge of being vegan) and an animal rights activist because it lets me live my values of peace, compassion, and sustainability. I'd like to add that I used to make fun of vegetarians and I don't try to be perfect about it; also, it's not my intention to offend anyone. I have my views for the animals, not to insult people and I can understand why other people have not converted to vegetarianism. I've been listening to Colleen Patrick-Goudreau's Vegetarian Food For Thought: Inspiring a Joyful, Inspiring, and Compassionate Diet podcast, in the evenings. It's an awesome podcast, and please, help me feel better by listening to just one episode. It's full of information about health and food.

Anyways, ever since I've gotten here it's been really hard for me to see people beat dogs, see little children throw large rocks ON baby puppies, and see pets (in the US) eating garbage and go without positive attention. I don't give it to them, either, because they have cuts, fleas, and possibly bite. It's also been very hard for me to be around exploited animals - such as cows and chickens. I didn't like it before, when I was in training, but now that I'm on my own it's even closer to my home. I can hear the cows moo-ing right now, as a constant reminder.

I do enjoy some things about living in close proximity to cows, pigs, and chickens. I have learned that they all seem to have unique personalities. Some are shy, others are aggressive. Some like to share and help the others, while others seem to want to outcompete others. Also, my favorite, some of the cows seem to really like me...lol. I was trying to pet the cows one day and they were acting timid. A white one from the back of the herd came up to me and kept wanting to get closer and closer. She wanted to sniff me and lick my shirt - big tongue.

The problem I have with the close proximity to them is that the people around me make their money (in-part) by selling animal parts (muscle, stomach, etc.) and their secretions in the form of cheese. Everyone loves the cheese and I've even eaten it and pretended I like it. It's their pride, how do I take that from them? It's really popular and regionally famous cheese. Also, they "raise" chickens. They don't really raise them, people raise children and animals raise their young; they feed them and then murder them because they think they are tasty.

I've been 100% vegetarian in El Salvador. And the other day, I thought I saw animal meat in my food. The woman who cooks for me denied it (sweet woman, in the film below). She said it was onion and then swept it away. I had no reason not to trust her, 'though I thought maybe I had meat juice in my lunch that day and stopped eating it. Then, her daughter said there was meat in it "too add flavor." I quit eating and wanted to puke. I'm worried it may harm our relationship. She denied putting meat in my food, but I don't want to eat her food any more. Her cooking for me brings us together.


^--Video of My Home --^

I really want to speak out for the animals, as I was able to in the US with the MSUB student club All Lives with Liberty, where I could help open the crack that people resist because this type of truth is really hard to take. I also attended Their Lives Our Voices 2009. It worked as an outlet for me and I was introduced to many vegetarians/vegans. I also ate some awesome vegan food in Minneapolis (Triple Rock, for example). It felt good to be around like-minded and compassionate people.

Now, it's nearly impossible to express my views and I keep them inside. During Peace Corps training, we were given advice on how to build confianza (trust) with the community and how creating divides that make us appear more different than we are disrupts our ability to work affectively. Such advice included not discussing politics (duh), but also when they ask if we believe in God to always say "yes" and eat the food that you're offered even if you don't like it because they don't have much and it's all they can give. Not accepting the food is sometimes taken as "I'm too good for your food." I've been given advice from others to just say "me hace daño" (it causes me harm) when asked why I am vegetarian and not go into details.

Basically, I'm feeling as strong as ever for the poor animals and I don't have an outlet. I want to go into the details, but instead I make subtle suggestions. I can also do small things, like when I attend the Unidad Ambiental (Environmental Unit - a new part of the mayor's office) trainings, I ensure I get lunch that never had animal meat in the same box, or I don't eat it. But my concern for the animals keeps me up at night, when I hear the roosters crow. It also bothers me in the morning when I hear the cows moo when my neighbor takes the milk - that is technically for a baby cow - from the mother.

I can hear those of you out there saying, "well, don't listen to the podcast and let it be". Well, I don't think ignorance is the answer and as many others know, once you become enlightened by the animals and their desire to exist you can't just let it go. As a side, the US eats 10 billion animals every year and humans throughout the world consume estimates as high as 45 BILLION animals annually, when you include fish and bycatch.

I hope I didn't bum any of you out. That was not my intention. Also, I understand those of you who eat meat. It's everywhere and we're bombarded by the culture, media, advertising, and habit of eating animals. Many of us have grown up with it. I don't blame anyone for eating animal meat. I did it myself for many years.

However, I would like to add that I appreciate my decision not to consume animals (as I'm sure they do). I feel it gives me a certain freedom. It's my choice to be vegetarian. If you're not, that's your choice. If anybody would like more information I have some links below. The video is difficult to watch, but recommended. I think the podcast, linked above, is the best source for kind-hearted and understanding discussion I've found. She knows what she's talking about and it's full of great information, even for non-vegetarians who don't want to be vegetarian.

Take care and may peace guide your journey.



Meet Your Meat

And I have to add this from Mercy for Animals...


Mercy for Animals,Animal Rights,Vegetarian,Vegan,Why Eat One and Not the Other,Pig,Dog,Add,Ad,Peace,Non-violence

No comments:

Post a Comment